Wednesday 15 June 2011

Happiness - maximising flow

“With climbing you have to get up at two or three in the morning and walk for a few hours in the cold until you get to the rock face. But once you get involved, it's a different world. You can keep it up for hours - with no sense of time passing.”
(Mihály Csíkszentmihályi, one of the pioneers of the Positive Psychology movement)

”I was already on pole, [...] and I just kept going. Suddenly I was nearly two seconds faster than anybody else, including my team mate with the same car. And suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension. It was like I was in a tunnel.”
(Ayrton Senna, Grand Prix Driver)


Do these quotes ring any bells? Can you identify with the state they describe? If so you have experienced 'flow' otherwise known as being 'in the zone', 'on top of your game', 'on the ball', 'riding the wave' among many other phrases. These are moments when we are completely immersed in an activity to the extent that we are taken out of ourselves. The more, the better!

No comments:

Post a Comment